Monday, September 4, 2017

The Kitchen Smells Like Home......

The last few weeks have been slightly crazy.......

We packed the house, moved things to storage and started to unpack.  We have made address changes, driving longs distances on a daily basis, rise early and fall asleep exhausted.

We closed on the Columbia house last week.  Wednesday night, Jenn locked the door of 759 Fountain Lake Road for a last time.  The closing on Thursday ended a 17 year run at the place I have lived for the longest part of my life.  I didn't have the same feeling of sadness I felt when I moved from Pearl River, NY to SC.

It was time to move on......

Now, it is the unpacking and figuring out where everything goes.  Finding out which box the strainer is in......finding out I have way too many rolls of toilet paper, boxes of pasta, and chic peas......I have pitched things I didn't pitch while packing in the first place.

I wake up and am not really sure where I am.

I have had to become much more organized.....laying out my clothes at night, make lunch for the next day in the evening, I shower at night and everything I need is left by the back door ready for the early morning trip.

I got lost trying to find Lowes (even with google maps) just to purchase a doormat and a Swiffer.

Several things were hard about selling the Columbia house.....the packing, the constant cleaning, keeping the house ready to view at a moments notice and the worked required of the new owners. The poor dog went on more rides while people were looking at the house than I care to think about or ever want to do again. It was also hard to not cook like we normally do.  I had to worry that someone might show up and not like the smell of cabbage, brussels sprouts or something in the crock pot.

I will continue to search for items .......items that I knew where they were like the back of my hand.....I am sure at some point they will be found....or replaced.

I am glad I have a membership with AAA due to the miles I am racking up. .....too many for my poor old Escape.  I make sign of the cross each time I get in the car and pray for a safe journey......... and that we don't breakdown either way.

Meanwhile, as a new chapter of my life is underway......it will take a while to feel at home and end the searching and thinking "I know I saw that yesterday somewhere"......I will get through the three containers of bread crumbs, mail will stop having the yellow forwarding label on it and I will not be making weekly trips to the landfill or Good Will (even my Christmas tree didn't make the cut to stay....we had a cathedral ceilings before.....not any more)......the microwave doesn't turn as it heats things up which leads to several attempts to heat something up......nothing bad just changes.

Today......we made sauce.  The kitchen smells like Sunday.  The kitchen smells of home cooking.The kitchen smells like home.

I am hoping Hurricane Irma turns out to sea especially after seeing what has gone on in Texas this past week.  I have started formulating a game plan if needed.  It would include moving all those boxes still not in the house into my kitchen.  We will just have to wait and see how it plays out.......

See you next week........


2 comments:

  1. A new home, a new page in your life^^^write on!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stressful will morph to simply routine. Good luck in your new home!

    ReplyDelete