Sunday, July 16, 2017

The Revenge of Barry Manilow.....

They say turnabout is fair play......and this week I found out that statement is true....

Two years ago, Jenn agreed to accompany me to see Barry Manilow.  It was not her first choice on how to spend an evening or her hard earned money.  We went with my sister, Cheryl, too. I had a great time and so did my sister.  As for Jenn, let's just say she got through the evening.  Her only comment was " he better sing Copacabana"....which he did for his encore.....thanks goodness.

Well time passed and there were no comment on paybacks....which we know can be a b****.

A few months ago, Jenn found out there was going to be a concert in Raleigh with groups she wanted to see but that would have to be an overnight trip.

Fortunately (I guess), Jenn found out there was going to be another date for the concert she wanted to attend in Charlotte.

And then it happened.....the words I dreaded hearing....."Mom, remember when we went to see Barry Manilow......."  I thought "uh oh.....here it comes...."

Jenn told me she wanted me to go to the concert with her.  We would be seeing Paula Abdul, Boyz II Men and New Kids On The Block.

It was hard for me to say no considering our trip to see Barry.  The tickets were purchased and all we had to do was wait. Jenn was looking toward it with excitement and I was looking forward to it with dread.

Last Thursday was the big night.  We headed to Charlotte and made it there in time for the start of the concert.. The arena was packed.  Our seats were great (why do they provide seat when all people do is stand)?

I liked Boyz II Men (which I thought was Boys To Men) and  I didn't know any of Paula Abdul's songs but the choreography was great.

Now we get to the main act.....NKOTB......

And I do like Donny Wahlberg on Blue Bloods so seeing him as part of the group was different.  He definitely had a lot of fans there.....

I have pictures of Jenn from her 5th birthday when she got a basket filled with NKOTB shirt, sweater, sheets, pillow cases and bedspread.

And here I was sitting with her more than 25 years later watching the same group.

NKOTB preformed for over 2 hours.  They were entertaining, engaging and funny.

It was a great show and I had a wonderful time.....much, much better than I anticipated.

WHAT I HAVE LEARNED FROM ALL THIS:

1.  I was not the oldest person at the concert.
2.  I know how to dress appropriately for concerts.
3. A three act concert is not over in 2- 2 1/2 hours....LOL.....the concert started at 7:30 and ended after 11:30. What was I thinking...3 acts in 2- 2 1/2 hours????
4.  I should not go to concerts during the week!! I need more than 3 hours sleep!! Since we were almost 100 miles from home and on the 9th floor of the parking garage we walked in the house around 2:15.  By the time I was changed and ready to go to sleep it was 2:45 and the alarm clock went off at 6:00AM.
5, I used to be able to get by on 2 hours sleep and wake up eat a bagel and  drink a YooHoo and I was good to go......not anymore.....
6.  Never ever ask Jennifer to go someplace or do something she really doesn't want to....LOL....well actually if the payback is as good as that evening was it I will be glad to pay back the favor!!!!

7.  Most important.......I can try new things. and enjoy them....this part of Chapter Three.....saying yes to more often than no.....

See you next week.......






No comments:

Post a Comment