Sunday, December 3, 2017

Moving forward while looking backward......

A few weeks ago I wrote about embracing my new location on Saint Helena's Island, SC......

Last night,  we went to the Boat Parade at the Waterfront Park in Beaufort. The weather was prefect as we sat and watched the sailboats  decorated with lights pass by one by one.

This morning, we dropped off gifts for the Santa Lunch held nearby.  The lunch is for the children of military deployed from Parris Island and the Marine Air Corp Station. We were greeted by people wearing Santa hats and Elf hats.  They so appreciated the toys we donated for both girls and boys.  We shouted "Merry Christmas" as we drove away.

Later on we were heading into town, a police motorcade with lights and sirens blaring passed in the other direction.  I was trying to figure out what was going on.  Then I noticed many of the cars in the procession had Marine Corp decals and decorative plates on them.  Then it hit me.......it was a motorcade to take the children to their Christmas lunch. Yes, of course I started to cry....I couldn't help it.

I was also lucky enough to have my friend, Mary, spend the weekend with us.  We stayed up late talking and were up early talking (see a running them here??).  We baked, we shopped and we laughed.....it was so much fun!!

I took her to see the alligators and the landfill...LOL....no reason not to see it all !!!!

While doing all this moving ahead....there is still a lot that pulls me back in time.

As I wrote last week, we did some baking.  This weekend we baked again using the old family cookie recipes.  Guess what we are doing next weekend?? You got it .......baking......(yes to my family...your cookies will be out in the mail a week from tomorrow).

My nephew completed his project of restoring the village my parents had under their Christmas tree starting back around 1955.  To see it looking brand new with all of its parts back in place was just wonderful.



I have been spending more time in my living room enjoying the lights on the tree, remembering when each ornament was purchased and wrap myself in memories of the wonderful holiday seasons past. Yesterday, I was up early and sat in my recliner in the living room covered in a blanket and enjoyed the tree lights just before dawn.......it is hard to find the words to describe how I felt sitting alone enjoying the beauty of the lighted tree.....



Just three short weeks to my favorite day of the year!!!

Jenn has asked a few times if there is anything I would like for Christmas and I guess like most of us as we get older the list of material wants shrinks and the list of desires grows (time with family, time to relax, time with friends and time for ourselves to do with whatever we wish......see the running theme here??....time). I am sure I will come up with a few gift ideas such as the 2018 Writers Guide (hint, hint Jenn).

But as I sit here and look at the lights from my tree in the living room and can very clearly see Jenn's 3 foot Griswold tree ( 9 feet of garland on a 3 foot tree??), a poinsettia blooming beautifully on a table......I feel a sense of peace.



Embracing the past, the present and the future.......that is what I am trying to do.......looking back at great memories and with a little sadness........enjoying the new experiences of the present which make me step out of my comfort zone........and looking to the future with hope, excitement  and may be just a little trepidation......no turning back now......backward is not the way I am heading......

See you next week.......


No comments:

Post a Comment