Saturday, July 16, 2022

Sometimes it is about the Small Stuff

 I don’t think I am alone in putting up with little annoyances versus taking care of them. 



Then finally you have had enough.

My toilet had been running for days, well weeks ok being honest months.

It didn’t run all the time. 

It was a simple flush, lift the cover off the tank, push down the little rubber stopper and the water would stop running.  Then I would stand and wait to make sure the tank had filled up.

It’s crazy what we will ignore vs fixing.

The other night on one of my 3:00AM trips to the potty, I lifted the top of the tank and thought to myself, “This is crazy, I need to get this fixed.”



Yesterday, I called the local plumber who installed the new hot water heater last year. He was here in 45 minutes.  He then left to get the parts needed and was back in no time.  Within another 45 minutes, it was done.

For $138 including parts and labor, I can now flush and not wait.  


Small luxury.

Getting that issue resolved has gotten me thinking about the other “small” repairs that need to be done.

That also led me to a kind of wish list of projects to make my life a little easier or less annoying.

Time to get the sink in the bathroom that drains slowly taken care of.

Time to get the half of the kitchen ceiling light that is not working repaired.

My Bed frame is old.  It is supported by wood, plastic and some metal on the sides and wooden slats across the bottom of the box spring and mattress.  My dream is next bonus time is to get one of those beds where the head and feet can move up and down.  Then the frame won’t be as important but I still want it to be fixed. I am sure a handyman can somehow bend the frame and reattach the frame on the one side that is bent and broken.

See what I mean about putting up with things that can be fixed?

How about getting the handyman to replace the one, yes I said one missing bolt from the drop down stairs to the attic.  One bolt and I have put it off 5 years.  Instead each time someone climbs into the attic I say, “watch the steps there is a bolt missing.”

I have large mirrors in both bathrooms.  As happens with most older mirrors the parts around the edges are losing their mirror look.  A handyman could make a frame around the mirrors and cover the fading parts and painted the right color they would look pretty.



How wonderful would it be to have shelves on the wall of my garage.  I could store boxes and bins on them vs having them sit on the floor.  It might make more space.  Or even get some of those metal shelf units and have them attached to the walls so they don’t fall over.

I could also put some of the items stored within the house in the garage.  Some light things could go in the attic.  I have plenty of space up there but would need to decide what could be put up there that wouldn’t be needed often.

Decisions, decisions.



Jenn has done a great job painting some of the furniture in the past few years.  She just picked up some new paint to refresh some of her previous projects.  They show some of the normal daily wear and tear so a new coat of paint is just the kind of “small stuff” needing to be done.

Once those little jobs are done I go on to my big stuff list or dreams.

I have a walk in shower with a small step up into it.  I want one of those showers with a smooth floor to just walk right in add in a bench attached to the wall and finally a rain shower overhead faucet too (hey i might as well dream big).

The kitchen needs the most work.  New cabinet fronts, a new counter tops, new flooring, new sinks (one deep one and one regular one with no rim around the sink- nice to have a smooth edge), new faucets and new lighting too.

Oh and I would love to replace the old toilets with two new higher versions. (I did get an estimate on this)

Flooring throughout bedrooms, living room, dining room and hallways.

Oh and let’s add to the list a full inside painting.

I could even add a deck if I wanted but not sure if that would make sense money wise since I have the enclose porch with windows and screens that open.

Wow that’s a long list! Whew…..

Tackling the “small stuff” will make me happy and allows me to cross things off the list which gives me so much satisfaction.

The big ticket items can wait.  I am so lucky to have everything I do right now.  

Each day I wake up grateful for another day and feel blessed.



The “small stuff” can all be handled.

The “big stuff” who knows?  Eventually?

I don’t mind having the lists, it gives me focus and direction.

And those who know me well know I can wander without a clear path.

OK I have made a decision, next item on the list to take care of is the bolt on the attic stairs.



One less issue, concern or problem to take up worry space in my head.

As I clear out the worry space, it gives me more room to dream.

See you next week!








No comments:

Post a Comment