Sunday, May 11, 2014

What Can You Say About Rice????

Rice.....plain, white or brown and starchy......long grain, 90 second kind or fried rice.....

One of my favorite lines ever on I Love Lucy is when Ricky asks Fred, "What do you know about rice?"  Fred responds without missing a beat " The only thing I know about it is that it was thrown at me on one of the darkest days of my life!!"  LMAO!!!! I love that line....

Last night, I made a pot of plain white rice in preparation for making some fried rice today to go with the ribs we are having for Mother's Day dinner.  Thank you Publix for putting ribs on sale this week end!! Jenn really has the rib recipe down pat and I do a pretty good rendition of Mom's fried rice.  Her cole slaw is still a work in progress but I am getting closer.  Last time my brother George was here he said if I just cut the cabbage a little thinner I might just have it right.

Oh right.......back to the rice .....

Mom showed me the easiest way to make white rice years ago.  I have never burned it and it has always come out right with no hard pieces in the middle.

Ready for this amazing recipe????

Put the rice in a pot and smooth it out with your hand.  Now measure how much rice is in the pot by putting you thumb in the rice down to the bottom of the pot.  Put the same amount of water in the pot as rice by holding your thumb on top of the rice and adding the water until it equals the rice measurement.  Put a lid on the pot and put it on the stove.  In no time voila......great rice.

Mom could do that....teach me things in a way I would remember!!

Mom could make Christmas Angels from a paper towel tube, hanger, an egg shell and some old material soaked in wall paper paste and sprayed gold.

Mom would show up at my house knowing I would have pants for her to hem.  She was not thrilled with my version of the scotch tape hem...LOL.  I never mastered the sewing part.....yes, I can sew a button on but I would never start cutting pants off at the bottom and attempt to make a new hem.....she did it without even blinking an eye.  I can still see her sitting at my dining room table on her last visit.  Jenn standing on a chair and Mom with a bunch of pins sticking out of her mouth while she measured Jenn's pants.  Sorry Mom I failed heming 101......

But the rice ......I've got that down.......and a million other things I do everyday without even thinking.......all that she taught me......with love and patience......

Well I have to go now.......the dryer buzzer is going off........as Mom said to me a million times "Donna, if you would just take the clothes out of the dryer when the buzzer goes off you would not have to iron so much."  You were right Mom.......as usual!!!!

Happy Mother's Day Mom and to all the Mom's who take the time to teach us all those little things.....

See you next week........


No comments:

Post a Comment