Sunday, July 13, 2014

Item #3 on the list....check...completed!!

When I started this plan for the list of 12....my goal was to do 12 new things in 18 months....then I decided to to 18 new things in 18 months........well I am going to throw caution to the wind and just say I am going to try and do something new every month for as long as I can......or until I run out of ideas.......I have sworn to myself with my right hand up in the air  and my left hand on the notebook that I use to write some of my story ideas that I will not stress out if I miss a month or can't come up with a creative enough idea......OK let's see how long it is before I break that oath...LOL

So item #3......I completed this yesterday.....

A little background might be helpful.......

When I was 14, I wanted to get my ears pierced.  My Dad said I had to wait until I was 16.  He was not a fan of pierced ears on his daughters (I guess he thought that made you a loose woman......and he never thought his sons would also get their ears pierced).

Well, about a month before my 16th birthday, a friend of mine came over on a Saturday night while Mom and Dad were out and I was babysitting. We thought it would be a great idea for her to pierce my ears.  We got out hydrogen peroxide, ice, a needle and she let me borrower her pair of earrings. This was probably my only "Rebel Without A Cause" moment in my life until then. After a lot of ice and a lot of ouches.....it was done.

I spent the next few days hiding my ears with my long hair.  I was hoping to get to my 16th birthday when I thought it would become a non-issue.  But I knew the jig was up when my Dad said "Donna let me see your ears".  He examined them and asked who had done the piercing....I told him my friends name and he said "It looks OK".  So I was in the clear but what infuriated me is he then allowed my sister who was 3 years younger to get hers pierced too.  Ugh...after all the begging I did and having to wait Cheryl was allowed to get hers done without all the grief I had gone through......but I guess that is what older sister do. But my Dad did not allow my girlfriend to take care of Cheryl's piercing...LOL

Anyway, when I was 26 I decided on the spur of the moment to get a 2nd hole in my ears....no trauma from this event.

When Jenn was 4 months old I took her and had her ears pierced. Bob was not amused but oh well.....

The in a moment of true insanity, I took my niece, Jill to get her ears pierced.  Without my sisters permission.....to put it simply ....my sister did not do back flips when she saw what I had done. But you know what they say...."paybacks are a bitch"....it was not too much after that  when Jenn  returned from an outing with Aunt Cheryl that she now had two earrings in each ear.  After that my sister and I agreed no more taking each others children for ear piercings.....or any piercings for that matter....LOL

Yesterday, after a 32 year break....I got a third piercing in each ear.  I have wanted it for a long time and decided it would be this months new experience.  I was a little nervous and Jenn just laughed.  After the paperwork was done (yes there is paperwork), I was taken to a little room.  Jenn came with me. The guy who was doing the "procedure"  pointed to a table and said "you can sit there".  OK first problem the table was at a height equal with the top of my hips.  There wasn't that little step like they have at the Dr. office so you can get up on the examining table.  I looked at him and said "sorry no way I can get up there".  He said "no problem"  and got me a chair to sit on.  Then of course Jenn hopped up on the table.......I am sure 30 years ago I could have done that too....I think....LOL

The last time my ears were pierced they no longer used needles....they used a gun and shot the earring through your ear.......well guess what......you guessed it.....they are back to the needles.  If I had known that I don't know if I would have gone ahead with it.  After a lot of ear cleansing and "the guy" changed latex gloves 3 times (talk about cleanliness!!)......next thing I knew he said "take a deep breath" which  I did and then he said "exhale".  While I was exhaling the needle was going through my ear.  In a few short minutes it was done.  I love the way it looks!! But my God the list of instructions I have to follow for the next few weeks are longer than the list of instructions I received after my c-section.....

Well anyway......it's done.....another first ....yes I count it as a first since it is my first third piercing in my ears....and any way anything done once every 32 years is like a first......hey if I wait another 32 years I will be 90.....LOL

Here is a picture Jenn took after my right side was done......but here is the scary part....when I looked at it ....I saw my Mom's profile......





Not sure what I will do from my list for next month yet....but I have some ideas.......

See you next week.....


No comments:

Post a Comment