Sunday, October 8, 2017

Thank you Reuben Miller.....

I never met Mr. Miller yet he has changed my life.  While I was asleep in our Bronx apartment one summer night, Reuben was in a car accident.  I am not sure how but my Dad ended up being his attorney. When the case was settled, my Dad took his fee and put it down on the only home he would ever own in Pearl River, NY.

I was a Sophomore in High School and hated my parents for making me leave my friends in the Bronx,  I was mad that I had to leave Preston High School (an all girls Catholic High School in the Bronx), I was angry that I had to be the "new kid" and go to a school where I didn't know a soul.....especially in 10th grade and in a town where it seemed like everyone had known each other since birth.

By Senior Year, I had a lot of friends and was sorry when it was time to leave PRHS.

The month before my graduation, we headed to Parris Island in the Low Country of South Carolina to see my older brother graduate from basic training with the USMC.  As we drove the 700 plus miles in our family station wagon, all I could think of was the long rural roads, old worn down houses and the people who spoke so darn slow.  Why on earth would anyone want to live there???

Well the course of events set in motion by Mr. Miller that summer night have followed me through all of these years.  Friends that moved away and later reminded me that there was life outside of NY.  Leave NY ...never...... I was born there and I would die there.......no so fast.....

The path I have traveled led me to Yonkers, NY......back to Pearl River, NY......on to Columbia, SC and now to of all places .....the Low Country of SC.....right outside of Beaufort. Not far from the beach which you all know is my hearts desire.  I have found a place with a WW meeting each week, a writers group, people that meet once a month to have dinner at each others house.....a place that gives me many of the social outlets I am looking for at this stage in my life. When you are in high school or college or have children friendships are easy to come by.  As you get older those easy ways of connecting with others fall by the wayside.  I am lucky to have moved to a place where unless you never leave your house there are a plethora of opportunities.  Also this pushes me out of my comfort zone which is a challenge but also good for me.

Some of the views I now enjoy.....

While I drink my coffee......



I was running some errands and stopped at the waters edge while Jenn snapped this picture........you know your shrimp is fresh when you see these docked at stands nearby.....



And as I drive home each night, I cross the bridge leading out of  Beaufort towards St. Helena Island...... in my head and heart I say ......"I am home".......


Thank you Reuben Miller...thank you so much!!!!

See you next week........


No comments:

Post a Comment