Sunday, March 18, 2018

A Week of Creativity....in various forms.....

My week started with Jenn teaching me Power Point. Yes, I have heard of Power Point but until last Monday had no reason to know how to use it. The person who had held Jenn's hand when she crossed the street, who went over spelling words with her, who taught her how to get into a turning jump rope and handled the teenage driving lessons........was now sitting next to my adult daughter saying "Teach me."

And so the teacher became the student.

I grew up in an age where "computer rooms" took over one half of a below ground level of the building I worked in at 140 Broadway.

As I used my newly purchased desk top with the huge tower and a price tag in the $2,000 range, I was resistant to using the mouse. Why?? Who knows....

I had grown up using a manual typewriter.  Then get ready for it......my Dad purchase a Brother  Electric Typewriter.  You had to slide the correction tape in the side while removing the cartridge of black ink. It sounds archaic doesn't it?????? This was no where near as state of the art as the IBM Selectric typewriter I used in Typing Class at Pearl River High School.

Back to the Power Point......

It was no where near as intimidating as I expected.  In fact, it was fun and allowed for creativity.

I used it in my presentation Monday. I did tell my audience this was my first venture into creating this kind work ....but it will not be my last that's for sure.

On Thursday, I had another foray where I had to attempt to use creative skills.  I attended a woodworking party after work.  Art is not my strong suit but if you give me a piece of wood cut out and the lines I have to paint in already traced on the wood.......I am in !! Before the class you picked out the item you wanted to work on.  I chose a Crescent Moon with a Palmetto Tree.  I chose the colors blue and white to go with the colors of the state flag. Gratefully, the instructor cleaned up the lines when I was done and added some additional touches of color to make it look more weather worn/rustic/ aged.  I love the finished product and can't wait to display it on my red front door.



The rest of the week wasn't quite as creative or fun......getting income tax forms together, cleaning the "green stuff" off my car, breaking the inside of a tooth and having to search for a new dentist ( in the Lowcountry it appears dentists do not work on Friday so guess what my first call will be tomorrow morning???), I found a crack in my windshield that continues to spread (guess what call #2 will be ?), I received reminders about my annual mammo appt and eye exam....how much fun can a girl have???

And I start off this week with ......well I will write about it next week (I am sure it will make for a riveting entry.....dear Lord let me get through it).....but here is a clue......

“Every new beginning comes from some other beginning’s end.” —Seneca

See you next week.......


No comments:

Post a Comment