Saturday, March 10, 2018

When Did It Change?

Once upon a time if you bought a car that was NOT new it was called a used car.  Now it is a "pre-owned" car. 

There was a time when you rented an apartment.  Now you rent an "apartment home".

Pre-owned......apartment home....they have a nicer ring to the ear don't they? But they are still a used car and an apartment.  Nothing wrong with them....I have owned a used car and lived in an apartment.

When and why did we feel a need to make the name of those things sound nicer? Did it make them more desirable?

Some of the change in terms I totally get......there used to be a "husky" department for boys and a (good Lord) "chubette" dept for girls.  Now the clothes are all sold in the same department sans the embarrassing titles. I have lived with terms such as fat, obese and on and on.....full figure sounds better to me. And in the last few years shock upon shock, Sports Illustrated had a full figure model on their swimsuit cover.

While I understand the reason for those changes, I do not understand the need for other changes.

I grew up in an age of rotary phones and phones cords long enough to take to the next room.  I was actually able to drive in a car without taking a phone call .  When I got an answering machine at home, I felt I had really moved ahead. When we sat down to dinner, we talked to each other.  We didn't focus on our Iphones.  Jenn will often say "I can hear Nannie asking...."What has happened to the family?""

When I was little, I had a Barbie doll.  One Barbie doll.  She had on a black sequin evening gown. I am going to say it again.....one Barbie.

My Barbie had some outfits made by a friends Mom.  My parents didn't have the money to buy me the numerous outfits available for Barbie.  By the time Jenn was 8 or so, she had 10 Barbies which were bought because of the outfits she was wearing. For my parents, I am sure the cost of the Barbie clothes could not be a part of their budget. Which meant Barbie would have to continue to wear her evening gown or some homemade outfits.



When Jenn was young, it was the American Girl Doll that every girl wanted.  At the time, we just couldn't spend the $100 or close to it for one doll.  She did finally get one last year....long over due....and even last year I purchased it through one of those Steals and Deals promotions for $65.  The guilt of not getting her one when she was young was hard as a parent. Finally surprising her with something I could not give her as a child made her laugh and me feel a little better.


This week, the Mattel company announced a line of Barbie's for International Woman's Day. Even Barbie has changed over the years into various business roles, famous women and looks.......a long way from my one Barbie in her sequin gown......

See you next week......




No comments:

Post a Comment