Sunday, April 3, 2022

I just have to get through the spring and the year is over

Growing up in The Bronx, I thought milk came from a container, eggs in their little crate, meat in styrofoam trays with plastic wrap.

As a child I didn’t make the connection between the cows or chickens that made their contribution to the items listed above.

If you grew up without trees and vegetable gardens why would you think anything else?

Nothing gowns in the concrete.

My parents told me about the vegetable man who would bring his truck through the streets of the Bronx yelling his arrival. Women would come out and buy the fresh vegetables and fruit.  I do not remember this taking place  but am sure my Mom’s recollections were true.

I was thinking yesterday I am so looking forward to buying fresh vegetables from the roadside stand near my house.

Corn, tomato’s, cucumbers, mushrooms, brussel sprouts, green beans, artichokes will all be part of my weekend food prep soon.

Oh and let’s not forget zucchini, eggplant and edamame.

Yum.




The plants of spring become treats of summer.

I can’t wait to have a red seedless grape that doesn’t taste tart.

We do pay a price to get to that summer season.

We get to enjoy the beauty of blooming flowers and trees. But oh my gosh the pollen.  I can’t remember the last time I went a full day without a couple of coughing fits or sneezing.




I would love to open my windows and enjoy the lovely breezes but with them comes the “yellow stuff” that leaves its trail all over my porch and glass table.  It can get so thick I could write my name in it. Yuck!

So the windows stay closed.

By the time the pollen is gone, it becomes too hot to leave the windows open.

Well there is always the fall to enjoy the open windows.  Well, late fall here in South Carolina.

It is worth the spring allergies for the taste of that fresh tomato.  The thought of a sliced tomatoes sandwich  on white bread with mayo.  Nirvana.




We are already one quarter of the way through the year.

It is hard to believe Memorial Day is next month.

The community pool will finally be open without having to sign up for what hours you want to attend so you could social distance (2021 rules) or the summer of 2020 when it was closed the whole season.

Actually, the pool opens much earlier in the year. It is heated but I have become such a southern weenie that I complain about getting out of the water and feeling cold. 




The days fly by.  Almost too quickly.  It is scary.

I remember back when i was young and it seemed to take a zillion years to get through a school year or from Christmas to Christmas.

Now I blink my eyes and it is time to flip another page on the monthly calendar.

In April, I will get the Hallmark Ornament book for 2022.  Yes, the Christmas ornament book.

Jenn and I have already discussed what photos will be on our Christmas card this year.

As you all know thoughts of Christmas are never far from my heart or mind. I also it annoys the heck out of others that I think about the holidays so often.  Sorry folks, it is what it is.




This is also one of those rare years where Jenn’s birthday will fall on Election Day and mine falls on Thanksgiving. 

I am actually looking forward to Jenn’s more than mine.  I wonder why? LOL





See you next week.





No comments:

Post a Comment