Sunday, February 28, 2021

My how the world has changed


80 years ago, 18 and 19 year olds went off to war and saved the world. So many lives lost but they served anyway with pride.

These young people weren’t looking for freebies. They were brave and selfless.

I may not agree with Tom Brokow on a lot of things but he was right when he called them “the greatest generation”.

I grew up in the generation when we had “air raid drills”.  Small children sitting under their desks with our hands covering our heads.

Fallout shelters signs on the sides of apartment buildings were common place.

During the Gemini and Apollo space missions, classes stopped while we watched the take offs and splashdowns.

Math was done in a way that made sense.  Cursive was required not optional.

And we were held responsible for our actions.  The worst thing that could happen was have your parents called to school for some issue.

I remember waiting up on Parent/Teacher conference night to see what my teacher had said to Mom and Dad about me.

I now live in a world where in the last few weeks,  we could see a landing on Mars of a vehicle that sent pictures back to Earth, Disney is adding a warning message to the Muppets and Hasbro has changed a toy brand from Mr. Potato Head to Potato Head.

How can we have the skills, talent and ability to send something to Mars but feel the need to change the name of a toy brand?

I feel like the whole world has turned upside down.  I really work hard to keep my mouth shut and I try not to offend people who believe differently than I do. I try to maintain relationships with people of all kinds of views  

The sensitivity has reached a new level when I have had “FB Friends” unfriend me for my daily FB post countdown.  Those who know me well know what it is about or have asked for an explanation. But if we have reached a point in which a set of three and four digits with no additional comment is cause for offense, I am not sure how far these kind of actions will continue.

We can all make a list of things we would like to see cancelled. But to what good?

We can choose to watch or buy or listen to what we want or opt not to.

I think we need to tread down this “cancel culture” road carefully.  

Just my opinion.

See you next week.









No comments:

Post a Comment