Sunday, February 6, 2022

Music of my life (or moments that grab you part two)

When I heard about the half time performers for this year’s Super Bowl, I told Jenn, I have no idea who any of them are.

I would have to go back pretty far to say I know or enjoyed any of the half time acts.

Probably back to Michael Jackson in 1993.

That’s pretty much me and music, kind of out of step.

I was getting ready to high school the summer of Woodstock.  

I was oblivious to it and the artists. 

I didn’t live that far from Max Yasgur’s farm (the land on which the concert took place).

Less than 100 miles….

It could have been a million miles, it wouldn’t have made a difference.

A lot of the kids I went to high school with went to concerts.

A lot of concerts.

I grew up on the music or Sinatra, Tony Bennett, Joni James and the Big Bands. That was my parents music.

I was pretty young when The Beatles became the rage.

I was  a huge Beatle fan.

Most of the music I liked was kind of mellow or folk music.

I like songs without digging in and understanding their meanings.

I didn’t think that “Blowing In the Wind” might be a protest song.

I just liked the words and melody.

Peter, Paul and Mary, Simon and Garfunkel, Carly Simon…..

But there was still Sinatra singing “New York, New York” after Yankee games.

My concert experience ranges from the Eagles to Billy Joel to Barry Manilow to NKOTB.

My guilty pleasure was disco music. 

And then there is Broadway music.

I was lucky enough to see a lot of Broadway musicals and would play the music over and over again after seeing a show.

Favorite songs vary from Muppet song “Rainbow Connection” to “Puff the Magic Dragon” to “Make Your Own Kind of Music”.

Now, I turn on the radio I am clueless.

Sad.

Last week, i left two items off my list.

I wanted to correct that oversight today.

In my humble opinion, I always thought Lady Gaga was a bit of a nut.

Then a few years ago, the Oscars paid tribute to the 50th anniversary of “The Sound of Music”.

Lady Gaga sang a few of the songs from the musical.

She was amazing and blew my mind.

Super talented.

The other item I left off the list was, The National Anthem sung by Whitney Houston.

I doubt I will ever hear a rendition better than when she sang it at the Super Bowl back in 1991.

Moving, chilling and gave me goosebumps.

The way I love hearing it sung.

What about you?  Tell me a favorite song or two of yours so I can expand my musical horizon.

See you next week.





No comments:

Post a Comment