Sunday, August 3, 2014

The Up's And Downs of a Week......and Life........

Whenever someone says "I have good news and bad news"  you know what I want first.....the bad news.

This week had good moments.....and bad......

Lets' get the bad over with first........

My car needed an oil change and I thought maybe brakes (it was just a feeling) and I couldn't remember having a brake job done since I owned the car (110,000 miles ago). The day before I was bringing the car in......  Jenn and I were running errands and all of a sudden the A/C started going hot.  Ugh!!! To add insult to injury, the motor for my drivers side widow was broken so I couldn't open it ( I won't mention I already replaced it 18 months ago through the dealership but was told it was only guaranteed for12 months).  Jenn and I drove along with the other  windows open and the sun roof open......things were blowing all over the car and we were both sweating bullets.

The next morning the car was at Goodyear......first estimate $900 plus (and that was thinking the A/C would not have to be replaced.)  By early afternoon the news had gone from bad to worse......the bill would be over $1950 and there was a list of $600 in "suggested" repairs. I opted to not do ther "suggested maintenance work".  So I cried and told them to do the repairs.  What choice did I have???? I needed the brakes and oil change.  How long was I going to ride around with  a drivers window that didn't work?? And let's face it .....A/C in South Carolina during the summer is not really optional!!!

The car was ready the next day.  $1100 for parts and almost $900 for labor.  I used to have a mechanic that I trusted like crazy......unfortunately he is no longer in that line of work.....boy do I miss you Joe Dotman!!!!

The other part of the week that was stressful was my work schedule....what the hell was I thinking???? Monday worked half day no prob......Tuesday half day of work starting at 1:00....I should have worked  4 hours......I ended up working almost 8 hours......it was my fault....I kept on saying just saying one more thing.  Wednesday and Thursday I just signed on to clean out emails.  Ended up reaching out to an upset customer by phone and email. Friday, I worked at home and was on the computer early and signed off late.  Also had to remind someone several times that I WAS WORKING......some people don't understand that even though I was at home and I had two monitors running and was taking phone calls it is a long day and there was a lot to do.

Now the good parts of the week......

I went to the gym 6 times....WOO HOO!! Lots of jogging in the pool.  I did more than a marathon in the pool....OK it was over 6 days....LOL!!!!

Jenn and I went out for lunch 3 times and did brunch one day.  Don't worry I didn't go over board......we were careful with our meal selections.......it was nice to have a meal out and not have to rush.  We had some great conversations during those meals out.  We also went dutch!!!

I stopped at work yesterday to bring  my laptop and the water that I drink in so I didn't have to lug it all in tomorrow.  Jenn hung up my football posters too.

In my overhead compartment was a gift from my friend, Crickett, she has been a big supporter of me and my efforts.  She left me a water bottle that I had seen of hers that screws off in a spot so I can put ice in it easily, a small notebook that says dreams on the cover and a card of encouragement. I was very touched by her thoughtfulness.

In my desk drawer was another gift.  From another friend (and former boss), Lisa, it is a bracelet with all beachy charms on it.  I love it!!!!

I left both items in my office to enjoy starting tomorrow.  How great is that??? I am out of the office and I have work friends thinking about me.  One did it for encouragement and the other because she had heard about the car bill and knew it was not one of my better weeks.

I also made plans to visit my friends at the beach at the end of the month.......something else to look forward to!!!

The last is the best......I love old weather worn old looking furniture.  Jenn went into Hobby Lobby and found a cabinet that had no price on it.  She knew I would love it.  She asked about the price and was told $24.99.  She was sure this was wrong so she checked again and again.  Then bought it for me....with my debit card.  When I saw her coming to the car with a gentleman behind her carrying something I thought what the heck did she buy? When she opened the door she said "I bought something you will love!!" You can guess how I reacted.......yes........ I cried!!!!! Another item to go with me for Chapter Three !!!!!

Well that was the week in a Readers Digest version.......the good and the bad......

Oh and did I mention I got on the scale today and I am down a few pounds.......between the gym and eating when I am hungry......seems to be having some positive results......I need to lose 4 more pounds to get to a new personal goal.......I know I know I have a long way to go.......but I can only think a few pounds at a time.....

Oh here is the piece of furniture Jenn found for me.......


See you next week........

No comments:

Post a Comment