Sunday, March 29, 2020

More of our new normal


Today's quote:

"Life is uncertain. We can never predict when hard times will strike"  Lailah Gifty Akita

If anyone ever told me 6 weeks ago how much our lives would have changed, I would have doubted it. 

But then again, I am not a great visionary.

Things have to hit me like a 2 X 4 and then I think "Wow, where did that come from?"

I do see people adapting to all we have been asked and challenged with as part of the new normal.

After two weeks, we finally found ground turkey at a local butcher.  Jenn had to wait on a line  outside the store standing six feet apart.  Then only three people were allowed in the store at a time.

At the end of the two lane road (one lane in and one lane out) onto the island where we live at sits the security booth. The owners lane is closed. Each car must stop to do a kind of check in before the visitor gate is lifted.

Driving by Boundary Street and seeing it empty with the exception of the few signs for curbside pickup from restaurants.

There has been a learning curve to our new normal.

While Publix has offered early shopping for seniors (along with other stores), it has not always turned out as planned.  Parking lots filled early, people not practicing social distancing and leaving their manners totally behind.  I read an email, where a senior said "you are better off going during normal hours". Thank goodness, I don't make the age cut for "senior shopping".

With so many from TD now working from home, we have pushed our servers to the max.  This has led to getting kicked off line for hours at a time.  By the end of the week things have improved. Most of the day Friday, I only had to sign off and on three times and didn't have to wait hours to get back to work.

I know realize how much I need social contact.  Between calls, emails, text and other social media I don't feel as alone.

Each day I understand more and more that everyone I know has impacted by these troubling times.  Hours and wages cut on jobs, layoffs,  401K's diminishing, and worst of all getting ill from the virus.

When I heard yesterday about a NYC police officer who died from the illness the report mentioned he had an underlying health condition, asthma.

Both Jenn and I have asthma.  It was another one of those 2 X 4 moments.

When I was a kid, my Dad would pile the family in a car for a ride. 

Yesterday, I went with Jenn for a few stops.  I drove and stayed in the car with Jeter, while Jenn got out of the car. The stops were for basics nothing extravagant.

Just being out for a little while felt good but not done lightly.  In fact, done with more trepidation than I anticipated.

Wanting to be home is very different from having to stay home. I doubt I will ever take that freedom for granted again. Well, at least not for a while.

When I am not working, I play games on my IPAD, watch too much TV (blame Hallmark and the Christmas Marathon), read and try to write a little.

I watched "Toy Story 4", and will admit I cried at the end.

Learning about app's like Zoom has been eye opening.  Having Facebook Messenger calls to see people have been fun .  Seeing people on these calls has not pushed me to put on make-up in the morning though.

I try to add something fun or interesting to my team conf calls.  I really want people to talk and not just about work. Last week, each day we had a topic from dream vacations, to a recipe exchange, pictures of our pets and listing the best books we ever read.

I have been pleased to see companies reinvent themselves to help out with items needed by hospital and medical staff.  I have seen people showing each other kindnesses that warm my heart.  I have finally heard of some well paid athletes and CEO's stepping up and making sure their staffs still have a paychecks.

In times of crisis, we recognize our first responders and medical personal. To the list we have added truck drivers and grocery store staff.  I asked my brother who has put in more than 35 years on the night crew at Shoprite if he ever though of himself as essential.  Until now, I don't think he had but he sure is important now.

I do feel a sense of sadness as I see plexiglass being being installed by the cashiers at the supermarket.  I hate hearing about people intentionally coughing on food that then must be thrown away. And I an frustrated by those that choose not to observe "social distancing".

None of us is really immune to this virus. Wake up people !

I am hoping and praying by the next time I sit down to write my entry next week, the curve will be evening out.

Let's all keep praying. 

I do believe in the power of prayer and people with a common goal.

See you next week.

































Today's quote

No comments:

Post a Comment