Saturday, September 1, 2012

Sundays and those Government Holidays

I am working on Monday.  Not all day.  From 8 -1.  No, it's not horrible that I am working...... a lot of people work the weekends and holidays.  And it is only for a few hours.

Thinking about working on Labor Day brought me back to a time when holidays were holidays and Sunday's were Sunday's.  Except for police, fire and hospital staff most of us had those days off.  There was no such thing as running to the mall (OK I have to admit there weren't malls when I was young......in fact I wasn't in my first mall until I was 14).  Supermarkets open on Sunday....no way.  You could go to a bakery on Sunday morning but by early afternoon they were closed.  You might find an ice cream parlor open but the world pretty much stopped.  Families spent the day together.....there were no other options.  We would do things as a family.....big Sunday dinners, take a ride in the car, go to the Beach or a park. 

I have become so conditioned to running errands any day I want that I actually get annoyed when I can't do something because they are closed on Sunday....like going to the post office to mail a package or going to some of the smaller stores that opt to close Sunday.

When I drive to work Monday I will be thinking about the holidays the way they used to be......a trip to Ferry Point Park or Orchard Beach or Lake Nanuet or having a barbecue.......I think we may have lost something as we have made things so convenient.........do kids still catch fireflies.........do they lay in the grass and look at clouds and figure out what their shapes look like......do they look at the starts at night........do they know what it is to go out and play all day long and get mad when their Mom tells them it is time to come in for dinner........

We may have gained something in the changes that has caused some of our holidays to fade into the background.........but I think we may have lost more......

Happy Labor Day Weekend!!!!



 

No comments:

Post a Comment