Saturday, August 11, 2012

Double Sided Mirror

A few weeks ago I wrote about the nightmare of my reflection in the fitting room mirror.  My sister told me about the double sided mirror......I see myself one way in the mirror and on the other side of the mirror are people who see me differently.  I needed to hear that......we are all much harder on ourselves than we are on each other.  I know that I can look at others and not see the flaws that they may feel self conscious about.  Whether it be their weight or their hair(or the lack of it) or a birthmark (especially the ones that suddenly resurface at midlife).......everyone has something they feel uncomfortable about.  I feel self conscious about all three of the items listed. 

My hair....ugh......there was a time when I had a nice full head of it.  Now I spend a lot of time making what I have look like it is more than it is.  When Wayne cuts and highlights my hair I love it!!! Last time I went to see him I actually wrote down the steps he takes to make my hair look full and beautiful.  I have not been able to get his technique down pat yet but I will keep trying.

The weight....need I say more??? I think I continue to cover this topic ad naseum......

OK the birthmark......so I had this birthmark when I was born.  It is right in the middle of my forehead between my eyes.  When I was young my parents discussed with my pediatrician whether they should consider plastic surgery for it?  The answer was no......it would most likely fade......which it did......until about a year ago.  Now it is back......really?????  I notice it every morning when I put on my warpaint.....ok make-up. There it is big as ......at least to me.  Others may not notice it as much but to me it is a giant red blob right between my eyes.  But if I put down my head to not look at it I end up looking at my ever thinning hair.......

Do I sound like I have some issues......oh yeah........do I need to get over myself......uh huh!!!

Maybe I need to take a trip around to the other side of that double sided mirror and try to see the Donna that the rest of the world sees. Yes, she might have weight issues and thinning hair and a stupid birthmark but she also has compassion and maybe an inner beauty and that wicked sense of humor......hey she sounds pretty neat!!!!

The outside will take care of itself one way or the other......that is all fixable.....diet and exercise for the weight......learn to do my hair the way Wayne does for the thinning hair and I am sure there is some make-up out there to cover the birthmark.  See  the outside is all fixed!!!!

And the inside........here is a shock........I think I look pretty good in that department........and I hope those on the other side of the mirror will agree.........



No comments:

Post a Comment