Wednesday, April 7, 2010

My Refrigerator

My refrigerator is not the refrigerator of my childhood. Mine has skim milk, fat free mayonnaise, egg beaters and brummel & brown yogurt spread. None of these existed when I was a child. I could not drink whole milk now if my life depended on it. We used Hellmann's Mayonnaise as salad dressing when I was young, now I used a flavored salad dressing spray. Turkey bacon is really good but would never have made the cut for my Dad. I use ground turkey for meatballs and bake my eggplant instead of frying it. Small changes that make for a healthier lifestyle. I am not perfect, yes I use light bread and wheat bagels but I still have not fully converted to the healthier choices. I am trying to experiment with different foods. If you look in my refrigerator now there is a package of Shiitake Tofu Noodles. The instructions say to wash them off to get rid of the natural smell (yuck) and if you want to use them with spaghetti sauce you have to rinse and drain them then dry them with paper towels. That's a lot of work. So I decided to try them kind of ramen style. I had chicken broth (the low sodium kind, you will see why in a sec) and added the rinsed noodles. To add a little flavor, just a touch of soy sauce (low sodium kind if there can be such a thing). Guess what....I loved them!!! Low in calories too!!! My next adventure is trying soy crumbles (??)...not sure what they are or how to use them...a new adventure. I now love going into Earth Fare to see what new healthier food I can try. Tofu Noodles would not have made it into my parents house but that's ok....in my dreams I can eat whatever I want but in reality if I want my life to change I will have to make other choices so tofu noodles it is.....

No comments:

Post a Comment