Saturday, August 27, 2011

I Hate Being So Far Away

I love living in South Carolina. Still my biggest regret is that so much of my family lives 700 miles away. If they were just a few hours away.....I wouldn't have to miss holidays together....I wouldn't have to miss birthday celebrations.....I wouldn't have to worry about family members who have had health issues and I wasn't there to help. This week I hate not being there because I am worried about them with Hurricane Irene heading their way. Here I sit at my computer complaining about the heat while my family is facing 80 mile an hour winds and lots and lots of rain....throw in the possibility of tornado warnings.....I feel helpless. I have been on the phone several times today. It is times like this when those 700 miles feel like a million miles!!!! There is not a thing I can do to prevent the impending storm but at least to sit with them through the night......would give me peace and save me from worrying about them.

I have to do a better job about going to visit them more often.....why does it have to be an occasion to go visit......me coming to visit could be the event. It is hard for me to believe that it has been 13 years since I have sat down to a Thanksgiving Dinner or spent a Christmas Eve with my family.....

If it took a hurricane to get me thinking about this......maybe some good did come out of the storm.....but until the storm passes I will be texting and calling....it will give me some piece of mind and make all those miles that separate us seem less distant....at least for tonight....

No comments:

Post a Comment