Saturday, August 27, 2011

The New Kid On The Block

I am meeting more and more of my co-workers. They stop by my office to ask a question or just to introduce themselves. I am torn between keeping my distance and wanting to be friendly. Getting too close and familiar is not good for a manager. You have to maintain some distance to be effective. But you have to show you care and want to know the people you work with.....it is a tough walk and a fine line. It is also hard because I am coming from a job where I knew so many people for so many years.

I am lucky that some of the people from my new job are people I have worked with before at other places. And the others will get to know me....

There is something to be said for history.....there is something comforting about knowing people who understand that you cry for a variety of reason both happy and sad. It also helps to have people who can read you....and know when to talk to you and when to give you some space.....it is good to have people know you need time in the morning before they hit you with the first challenge of the day....they know you need to turn on your computer and put your pocketbook away or as one of my team members once said "I was told to leave you alone until 9:00" LOL....that is pretty close to the truth.....at my new job they haven't figured it out yet.....in time I am sure they will.....

No comments:

Post a Comment